Australia’s doctors will meet in Newcastle, NSW, this weekend to discuss how they can protect the community from pollution, climate change impacts such as heatwaves and other environmental hazards.
• Shadow Minister for Climate Change and Energy Mark Butler talking about the state of play regarding climate change policy and action in Australia, and the importance of climate change action to health.
Mark Butler’s presentation comes ahead of next week’s COAG meeting on energy policy.
• A public Forum featuring Bob Brown on how activism can bring about a healthier world.
• A presentation on Health, Sustainable Diet and Agriculture
Many serious health problems such as obesity, diabetes, arthritis, high blood pressure, heart disease, and many cancers, are diet and lifestyle related. Appropriate diets reduce the risk of these diseases, and they also have a far smaller carbon footprint.
• Greening healthcare, and the savings to the healthcare system from sustainable practices that lower emissions. The heath care system is currently responsible for 7% of Australia’s total emissions.
• New research revealing the true cost of coal-fired power stations in NSW. The analysis shows that for each Megawatt hour of electricity generated, there is a cost of $1.92 in premature mortality and increased hospital costs.
“iDEA18 is about safeguarding public health and wellbeing,” says Dr Van Der Kallen.
“Educating ourselves and our patients of the critical link between human health and planetary planet is essential—especially as health is missing in the current debates on environment and energy policies.“
iDEA18 Conference link
Dr John Van Der Kallen, 0431 535 742
Dr Sujata Allan, 0416 550 242
Media and Communications Coordinator, Carmela Ferraro, 0410703074
DEA is an independent organisation of medical doctors protecting health through care of the environment http://dea.org.au
We are supported by a Scientific Committee of distinguished health experts: Prof Stephen Boyden AM, Prof Emeritus Chris Burrell AO, Prof Peter Doherty AC, Prof Michael Kidd AM, Prof David de Kretser AC, Prof Stephen Leeder AO, Prof Ian Lowe AO, Prof Robyn McDermott, Prof Lidia Morawska, Prof Peter Newman AO, Prof Emeritus Sir Gustav Nossal AC, Prof Hugh Possingham, Prof Lawrie Powell AC, Prof Fiona Stanley AC, Dr Rosemary Stanton OAM, Dr Norman Swan