DEA has the following requests to all Parties and Candidates in the 2019 general election
- Address climate change as an issue threatening the future health and wellbeing of present and future generations of all Australians and world citizens.
- Accordingly ensure you have an understanding of the threats of climate change to health, society, national security and the future.
- Take action to transition from fossil-fuel (coal and gas mining and combustion) to a mix of renewable energy sources; DEA does not support any new coal or gas mining.
- Support legislation for a New Generation of Environmental Laws which will provide secure action to protect the environment and biodiversity and place national action on climate change mitigation and adaptation on a sound scientific basis.
- Ensure that air pollution from coal fired power and vehicles, which causes 3000 deaths per year and extensive illness, is alleviated by improved air quality standards in keeping with international scientific opinion.
- Take action to stop land clearing and logging of old growth forests as part of agricultural reform, financing and sustainability to support agriculture as Australia’s most important industry.
- Support national measures to reduce greenhouse emissions from the health service infrastructure and practices as a measure which can be taken quickly and will be economically positive.
Download DEA's Election briefing paper_ DEA requests to candidates